Thursday, August 27, 2009

Internet Condolences!!!!

I grew up in the very small town of Woolsey Ga. a town that could very easily remind someone of Mayberry. The population is roughly 250 people and that many if not more cattle that my dad happens to own.
When I was young everyone in town knew everybody. If you were stranger or “not from these parts “as my grandfather would say then everyone in town knew it as soon as you arrived. People in town also knew everyone’s business as soon as it happened.
I am not sure if it happens everywhere or not because I have not lived anywhere but the south. I remember as kid and even now that when someone passed away someone from the deceased’s family would notify someone from the church. That someone was usually on some sort of committee because the Baptist have a committee for everything. Anyway then that person would call someone else on a list of names, then that person would call someone on a list of names and etc. until everyone that needed to be notified was spoken to.
Then the ladies of the church would get together and cook for the family. Now it is a very sad time when someone you love passes away. I guess in the south it makes people feel a little better to eat a lot. It kind of looked like a Thanksgiving table setting in the south when someone “goes to be with the lord” as my great-grandmother used to say.
After the family made all the arrangements with the funeral home which there was only one that everybody used. C.J. Mowell and Sons had been the handling funerals for as long as I can remember and probably always will. Anyway, the family will call the church again and tell them the details of the “WAKE” and everything involved. The call list I spoke of earlier would start up again until everyone was notified. Now that is how I remember it happening when I was kid and up until the time I moved away.
Well recently my mom called me and asked me “Do you remember Mr. Smith that lived down the street? Well he passed away the other day.” So my response was “yes I vaguely remember him.” Well the conversation rambled on and she said “well I have to get ready me and your daddy are going to the funeral home. You should go to Mowell’s website and leave your condolences for the family!” What she said really didn’t hit me until after I hung up the phone.
So I did what anyone with the internet would do when you don’t know a website. I went to Google and typed in C.J. Mowell and sons to find the website. Sure enough what Momma said was true right there in front of my face was a website for the funeral home. I scroll down the page and right there for the world to see was every arrangement that Mowell’s was handling that week. You could click on the name get all the details, times, who was handling the service and where to send flowers. Then write there under all that information was a place to leave your condolences for the family or to write whatever you saw fit I reckon.
That got me thinking going to be with lord has come a long way since I was a kid. You used to have to get out your suit that you hadn’t worn since the last funeral attended, go to the funeral home, find a parking place, which could take hours where I am from, shake with people you haven’t seen since the last funeral you attended, hug the family and give them your condolences, let them know if they need anything to call, and then find your car and go home.
Well now you don’t have to any of the things I mentioned above. You can just get on the internet while you sit at your desk and tell the family how sorry you are to hear about their loss. Kind of makes me wonder what will happen in the next 20 or 30 years as technology progresses. By the time I “Go to be with the lord” there may not be soul at my funeral. Everyone will be at home on their couch all they will have to do is log on to a website pay $9.99 and they watch me in their underwear.

1 comment:

  1. LMAO! The internet does make things very impersonal...but in this case, if I was doing it in my underwear, would that make it personal?

    ReplyDelete